Is the family becoming an endangered species in America’s urban areas? Statistics show that in 2015, over 75% of African-American children were born out of wedlock. And of the remaining 25%, half will likely lose their fathers to divorce or abandonment. Former NFL player Steve Fitzhugh’s passion is to reach out to and teach kids who are surrounded by a culture of drugs, violence, and futility—and to help them understand that God has an amazing plan for their lives.
About Today's Guest: Steve Fitzhugh
Steve Fitzhugh is an author, master motivator, and certified NFL Transition Coach who mentors both rookies and retirees. Steve was a professional football player for the Denver Broncos, but a shoulder injury sidelined him after only two seasons. He went on to pursue graduate studies at Howard University in Washington D.C., and after earning a Master of Divinity degree, he began a drug and alcohol prevention program in the public and private school systems in North Dakota. Steve co-founded The House DC, which are three former crack houses that were renovated and are now used as after school drop-in centers for teens. As a highly sought-after professional communicator, Steve makes speaking appearances all over the country. When he isn’t traveling, he and his wife, Karen, run Covenant Village Retreat—a center for groups and individuals of all demographics who are seeking rest, retreat and revitalization. The Fitzhughs have been married for over twenty years and have two grown daughters.