In this sermon, “Grace and Our Past Failures”, Dr. Charles Stanley discusses the seven-step spiral downward that people go through when they choose to live independently of God. He begins by explaining that God will allow His children to fail in their Christian life, even if it means they end up in a "hog pen" of sin and despair. However, Stanley also emphasizes that God's response to our past failures is always grace. No matter how far we have strayed, God is always waiting for us to return to Him.
- All sin begins with desire. When we desire something that is not in line with God's will, we are setting ourselves up for failure.
- Once we have a desire, we make a decision to act on it. This decision may be conscious or unconscious, but it is always a choice.
- When we act on our desires, we separate ourselves from God. We may try to justify our actions, but the truth is that we are choosing to live independently of Him.
- The further we go down the spiral of sin, the more difficult it becomes to turn back. This is why it is so important to repent and turn to God as soon as possible.
- God's response to our past failures is always grace. He is always willing to forgive us and welcome us back into His family.
If you are struggling with past failures, we hope this sermon will give you hope and encouragement. It reminds us that God's grace is always available to us, no matter how far we have strayed.
This sermon is part of the sermon series Grace: God's Second Chance:
Part 1 - A Second Chance Now
Part 2 - Grace Alone
Part 3 - Grace: Our Only Hope
Part 4 - Grace and Continuing Sin
Part 5 - Grace and Our Past Failures
Part 6 - The Gospel of the Grace of God
Part 7 - The Cross - Grace Displayed
Part 8 - The Riches of His Grace
Radio Classics are sermons from Dr. Stanley’s radio ministry released to encourage and build your relationship with Jesus Christ.